Thursday, July 12, 2012

Not even a Second!


     How Long does it take for a child to get into something dangerous? In my house not even a second! One day last week we woke up to an ant invasion in the pantry. The ants had gotten into everything that was opened. I was especially sad about my organic peanut butter granola that had only been used once! I read somewhere before that lemon scent will break the ant scent trail. We had this bottle of Lysol lemon scent in our home from the previous home owners. This is not something I would usually buy, but you know me if I didn't pay for it might as well get some use out of it =). 
     Well while I was pouring a little bit at a time on each shelf and then wiping I put the bottle on the counter right next to me. The kids were in their room playing with race car tracks. All except Joshua who had taken the bottle off the counter and drank the remainder of the Lysol! I turned around and saw him holding the now empty bottle about a centimeter from his lips and he let out a burp and had a dazed look on his face. Of course I panicked and tried to call the number on the back of the bottle it was just a recording. Then I remembered that you should give milk to drink so I poured a big cup for Joshua and he drank most of it. 
     I didn't have time to load up the computer and google "what to do if your child drinks Lysol." So I dialed 911 and the EMTs came out right away. To my surprise Joshua was fine and didn't need any medical attention. Thank God for His protection! I know as a mother of 3 boys we are so blessed to not have had any major incidents. It is nearly impossible to have my eyes on all 4 of my children at all times and so I am so grateful that God watches over us! I will not be buying any bottles of products like this ever and now I have poison control saved in my phone!
This is Joshua who is a very active and fearless 3 year old!

15 comments:

Lisa said...

Lol Patrick ate hair relaxer once..I threw it in the trash, not knowing he was right behind me, he went in the trash and ate the relaxer. Of course I rushed him to the ER but thank the Lord for watching over us because Pat-Pat was perfectly fine.

Kelly Logan said...

That is crazy hair relaxer doesn't even look like juice! and the people on the phone at poison control were like kids usually only ingest a small amount because it doesn't taste good! Kids these days don't have taste buds I think!

Blessings from Above said...

First the most important thing is your sweet boys are OK!! Thank you Lord for protection! Second -- courage to warn others and say "Hey this is what happened" as a warning to others. We as parents are human :)

Kelly Logan said...

You are right about courage =), I actually was thinking of not posting this blog because of pride thinking what will people think of me as a parent if they know that this happened in my house. Yet I felt like it should be said as a warning to other parents, I didn't even leave the room unattended I was standing right there just with my back turned! Bad Things can happen so fast to anyone anywhere!

Mandy Savings said...

When my daughter was 2 she ate some of my mom's "natural" estrogen pills. We still aren't sure how many she ate and after calling poison control, we ended up spending the night in the ER where she had several chest xrays and had to eat charcoal. It was a scary experience but the people at the hospital were great and she was fine (praise Jesus).

Glad your little one is okay!! Thank God for His protecting hands over us all!

Jenn said...

One time when my son was about 3 my husband had a cold and asked if we had any Advil sinus meds. I got him 2 and laid them right beside him, and what do you know before he could pick them up to take them my son put them in his mouth. When they were melting in his mouth though they tasted so bad that he started throwing up. I called Poison Control, they were like oh he'll be fine cuz he would have to take like 12 of those before they would hurt him! I couldn't believe it! Oh kids are so much fun!!!

Kelly Logan said...

Wow, estrogen pills atleast it was your little girl and not a boy....lol. I thought they would have given us some of that charcoal stuff for Joshua. I remeber eating that whenever I took a whole bottle of baby aspirin when I was younger.
Jenn, I am surprised at how many toxic things a child can take in before becoming seriously hurt. We are truly fearfully and wonderfully made!

Rhonda said...

So glad he is OK.

Kelly Logan said...

Thank you Rhonda =)

Susan in SC said...

Anyone who has children knows how quickly this can happen! I would say his Guardian Angel was working overtime and protected him! :)

Anonymous said...

So glad your son is okay. It is amazing how fast they can get into things. This has nothing to do with dangerous substances, but when my little one was potty training I had her in the bathtub one night. The phone rang and I ran and got it and came right back. I noticed she was swatting at something in the water. She was playing with her poop!!! just that fast she had pooped. I remember thinking "why can't she poop that fast when we are sitting in the bathroom "forever" encouraging her to go on the "big potty."

Michele said...

Oh Kelly, scary stuff! Rejoicing with you that he is ok! If only God had given us 20 sets of eyes, and hands! haha

Kelly Logan said...

Yes this was very scary for me! We have had some floating "chocolate bars" in our tub before too =) with brothers in there too! I have been thinking of getting surveillance videos in my home to watch the kids and our house is only 1268 square feet!

Theresa said...

All 3 of mine have sampled toothpaste.

So glad he's okay!

Kelly Logan said...

Thanks Teresa =) I still give my kids flouride free toothpaste! I am really considering making some all natural disinfectant. I heard you can use vinegar?